Hello dear friends! I’m so happy to finally show you something made with fabric! I guess it has been about one month since I sew something. I had decided to make first Dala horse, when ever I’m able to sew again.
During the crazy busy moving time I followed Julianna’s “last minute Christmas Sampler QAL” and all the beautiful blocks you made. There was no chance to join you, but I saved all the patterns and promised to myself that I shall make them later. Julianna makes fantastic patterns and she was one of the pattern makers and hosters of the ‘Forest’ QAL which I joined last year and finally won the first prize with my ‘Fantasy Forest’ quilt! Julianna’s blog is ‘Jednoiglec’.
My sewing room is now almost ready. Only need to fix still the ‘design wall’, to hang some quilts and the pin board. But I’m able to sew and so I started with foundation Paper piecing. It took a while to make the printer to believe that I really need these printed right now and not next week and then I was able to start …
… still needed few hours to find my precious dala horses. Fortunately those two boxes with decorations were still in the corner of the dining room and easy to reach. I love those traditional Swedish wooden horses! If you like to learn a little about them, you can read about their history, see photos and little video how they are made, for example in this site: ‘The Swedish Wooden Horse’.
Foundation paper piecing needs concentrating. I did this between many other works and then ripped also many times. That’s not fun with the paper. And even when I thought I have all the pieces finished, I saw that there was some pieces missing and again ripping.
You see how the bag leg is; and I thought that the pieces are ready and I was ready to finish the block. Finally I did it. I feel my skills were a little bit rusty, because even I tried to be very careful, still the pieces don’t match perfectly.
You know how I usually love to MIX lots of colours and I wanted to add here some green, but then decided to stay with red and blue. This is going to be a pillow so I added frames to get the size I need (about 16.5 ” x 16.5″).
Yesterday evening I started to quilt this by hand. First some stitching around the horse and frame. And now I shall go to continue. That I shall show you next time because now there is a chance that I’ll be out of electricity, so it’s better I’ll send this right now.
Next time more about ‘NEW year’ stuff etc. Hope to see you soon!